I had an opportunity to climb a mountain in April 2009 that too while doing my professional work. The place where I had to reach was a telecom tower site. It was on a steep mountain and I had to walk up on steep slopes for more than two and a half kilometers to reach there. I am an adventurous person always looking for something new and different. I decided that I am going to enjoy the climb.
I have no mountaineering experience; though I have climbed small hills in my childhood days. But this time, it was different. It was almost 250m from the start point when my breath started getting heavy. Even though I wanted to climb but my mind was in a way telling me that it was difficult, as I am used to walking in plains most part of my life. I spoke to the local guy who was leading me through the path. I was seeing him walking comfortably uphill. I asked him what I should be doing to climb through without much tiredness, since I had to do the work on the site after reaching there for about one and a half hour. He told me that in order to reach the site I need to follow what he was doing:
- Take small steps
- Do not open your mouth for large breaths
- Do not look upwards -look downwards
And I followed his advice to the book, and found that I covered the distance of 2.7 Km up an average of 45 degree slope in 1:45 hours, whereas other members of my team took 2:30 hours to reach the site. After I did the inspection work on site for about two hours, I had a revelation after drinking the sweet water of a natural water source at the hill top! God put it in my heart that in order to achieve your goal you need to:
- Take small steps of faith in what you do on a daily basis,
- Control your senses – keep them focused on where you have to go rather than complain about the difficulties
- Look how far you have come – once you see how far you have come with God in your life, you would feel encouraged and enthused and would want to go further. Rather if you keep looking forward thinking there is too much distance to be covered you may not be able to move forward an inch.
As soon as I alighted from the hill top (took me about 50 minutes) with a special skill of how to walk on the toes rather than the whole foot, I wrote it down in my diary to have discovered this wonderful piece of God’s wisdom from this episode! – go Vinay Mehta